Thursday, March 22, 2012

Week 48- How-to continues...

Figure 1


Figure 2

The other day I showed you how I began a page. Today I’ll show you how I rough everything in. I do a lot of sketching whenever I can. It helps me think and it clarifies the image in my head. Depending on how clear the image is I might just begin on the art board as in this case (figure 1). Other times I’ll sketch idea out on just about anything that’s handy, like this desk calendar (figure2). Once it’s on paper I refine as necessary and then I use a light box to transfer the image to the art board. I try to keep everything fluid. This is where I’ll play with placement, poses, scale, the background and look for any panel issues that might crop up (This is where the erasing and redrawing comes in). It’s all problem solving. If I run into something I can’t seem to figure out I’ll check around to see how other artists “solved” the problem. I have collected over the years a variety of images, original artwork and comic books of artists I admire. I guess this would be a good time to tell you where my influences come from. The most influential artist for me is and always will be Al Williamson. For me, a true master of the medium, bar none. Other influences include Alex Raymond, Roy Krenkel, Joseph Clement Coll, and Franklin Booth. There are several modern artists I follow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment